The Super Mario Bros. Movie is a 2023 American computer-animated adventure film based on Nintendo’s Mario video game franchise. Produced by Universal Pictures, Illumination and Nintendo, and distributed by Universal, the film serves as an origin story for the iconic characters Mario and Luigi. It was directed by Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic, with a script written by Matthew Fogel.
The film’s voice cast includes Chris Pratt as Mario, Anya Taylor-Joy as Princess Peach, Charlie Day as Luigi, Jack Black as Bowser, Keegan-Michael Key as Toad, Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong, and Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong.
The film follows Mario and Luigi, two Italian-American plumbers, who find themselves transported to an alternate world. They are caught up in a battle between the Mushroom Kingdom, led by Princess Peach, and the Koopas, led by Bowser.
After the unsuccessful live-action adaptation of Super Mario Bros. in 1993, Nintendo was hesitant to license its properties for movies. However, the company’s collaboration with Universal for Super Nintendo World sparked arguments between Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto and Illumination CEO Chris Meledandri. In 2018, Nintendo announced its partnership with Illumination and Universal to produce a new Mario movie.
The Super Mario Bros. Movie was released on April 5, 2023 in the United States. It received mixed reviews from critics, but achieved significant commercial success. The film grossed $1.3 billion worldwide, setting box office records for an animated film, including the world’s largest opening weekend for an animated film. It became the highest-grossing film of 2023 and the third-highest-grossing animated film of all time.
The Super Mario Bros. Plot :
The main information from the provided text can be summarized as follows:
- Mario and Luigi, Italian-American brothers, start a plumbing business in Brooklyn.
- They encounter a water main leak and go underground to fix it but end up in different worlds.
- Mario lands in the Mushroom Kingdom ruled by Princess Peach, while Luigi lands in the Dark Lands ruled by the evil Koopa king Bowser.
- Bowser plans to marry Peach and threatens to destroy the Mushroom Kingdom if she refuses.
- Mario meets Toad and teams up with Peach to repel Bowser’s advances.
- They seek help from the primate Kongs in the Jungle Kingdom, and Mario defeats Donkey Kong in a fight.
- Mario, Peach, Toad, and the Kongs travel back to the Mushroom Kingdom but are ambushed by Bowser’s army on Rainbow Road.
- Mario and Donkey Kong fall into the ocean, while Peach and Toad return to the Mushroom Kingdom to urge evacuation.
- Bowser proposes to Peach, who reluctantly accepts, and Mario and Donkey Kong escape and rush to stop the wedding.
- At the wedding, Bowser plans to execute prisoners, but Mario and Donkey Kong rescue them.
- Mario and Luigi defeat Bowser with the help of power-ups and Peach’s assistance.
- Bowser’s castle and everyone are transported back to Brooklyn.
- Mario and Luigi are hailed as heroes, and they move to the Mushroom Kingdom to continue their plumbing work.
Please note that the provided text appears to be a narrative description or summary of a fictional story involving characters from the Super Mario franchise.
The Super Mario Bros. Voice cast :
The provided information appears to be a casting list for the upcoming animated film “Super Mario Bros.” These are the actors and their respective roles:
- Chris Pratt as Mario: A plumber from Brooklyn who finds himself in the Mushroom Kingdom and sets out on a quest to save his brother.
- Anya Taylor-Joy as Princess Peach: The ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario’s mentor, and love interest. She was raised by the Toads.
- Charlie Day as Luigi: Mario’s younger brother and fellow plumber who gets captured by Bowser and his army.
- Jack Black as Bowser: The main antagonist, King of the Koopas, who plots to conquer the Mushroom Kingdom by marrying Peach.
- Keegan-Michael Key as Toad: A resident of the Mushroom Kingdom who aspires to go on his first adventure.
- Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong: An anthropomorphic gorilla and heir to the throne of the Jungle Kingdom.
- Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong: Donkey Kong’s father and the ruler of the Jungle Kingdom.
- Sebastian Maniscalco as Spike: Mario and Luigi’s former boss from Wrecking Crew, who becomes their antagonist.
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek: Bowser’s advisor, informant, and a Koopa sorcerer.
Please note that the information provided is based on the casting announcements for the film and may be subject to change or further details as the production progresses.
The development of the film adaptation of Super Mario Bros. began after the failure of the 1993 live-action film. Nintendo wanted to explore opportunities for their properties in other mediums and recognized the potential of combining their beloved software with video assets to create extended experiences. In November 2014, it was revealed that Sony Pictures had been attempting to secure the film rights to the Mario franchise, but a deal had not been finalized.
In 2016, Nintendo started discussions with Illumination, the animation division of Universal Pictures, to create an animated Mario film. Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario, found Chris Meledandri, the founder of Illumination, to be the right person to lead the project. The film was announced in January 2018, with Miyamoto and Meledandri as co-producers.
Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic, creators of Teen Titans Go!, were announced as the directors of the film in August 2021. They aimed to create a faithful adaptation of the games and wanted to develop an origin story for Mario and Luigi, portraying them as “blue-collar guys” with Italian-American plumber backgrounds. The film’s story would focus on their journey to rescue a kidnapped Luigi, with Princess Peach playing a more active role. Bowser was intended to be both scary and vulnerable, while the other characters would bring their unique qualities to the film.
The voice cast for the film caused mixed reactions among fans. Chris Pratt was cast as Mario, with Anya Taylor-Joy as Princess Peach and Charlie Day as Luigi. Other notable actors included Jack Black as Bowser, Keegan-Michael Key as Toad, and Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong. Charles Martinet, the longtime voice actor of Mario in the games, made surprise cameos in the film. Some fans questioned the casting choices, particularly Pratt as Mario instead of Martinet or an Italian actor.
The film was animated by Illumination Studios Paris in France, with production underway since September 2020. The directors aimed for a balance between stylized animation and realism, with a focus on creating a big adventure film with high stakes. They collaborated with artists from Nintendo to design the go-karts featured in the film. The animation work was completed in October 2022.
The score for the film was composed by Brian Tyler, who worked closely with Mario’s longtime composer Koji Kondo to incorporate themes from the games. The music features a mix of orchestral arrangements, Italian instruments, and references to iconic Mario leitmotifs.
Overall, the film aimed to provide a fresh and faithful adaptation of the beloved Mario franchise, combining elements from the games with new storytelling and animation techniques.